Friday, May 18, 2007

Performing w/ RY COODER, TAJ MAHAL @ UCLA's Royce Hall for The Ash Grove's 50th Anniversary!

By chance at Howard Larman's memorial, I sat in my church pew next to Ed Pearl, owner of LA's "The Ash Grove." The Ash Grove was one of the most influential folk clubs in the 60's and 70's, featuring the absolute Royalty of folk / rock / blues artists until it burned down in 1973. After I sang, Ed insisted that I sounded like Joan Baez, for whom he had produced concerts for four years, and asked for my card.

The next day, Ed emailed requesting my CDs. Yesterday, he called to book me for a huge 50th Anniversary concert for The Ash Grove at UCLA's Royce Hall called "Legend and Legacy" next April. I'll be singing alongside artists like Bonnie Raitt, Ry Cooder, Taj Mahal, Kris Kristopherson, Linda Rondstadt, Ben Harper, and Jackson Browne!!!!!! He said I would represent the next generation of artists carrying on their tradition. I'm blown away!!!!!

Just the thought of Bonnie Raitt and Jackson Browne (who both love Malian blues) and Ry Cooder (who produced those brilliant Ali Farka Toure CDs) hearing what I can do onstage gives me goosepimples!

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home